Sunday, December 18, 2011

Homemade Peppermint Patties

how to make homemade peppermint patties


It was all my grandma's idea. When my momma was dating Da in high school, my grandma started putting Fig Newtons in the freezer. She did it so all of my aunts' boyfriends - and Da - would keep their mits out of the cookies. Mama was sure the freezer would be the perfect deterrent. 

Little did she know she was starting a family tradition.




We always kept cookies in the freezer when I was growing up, and the husband and I have taken to storing chocolate in the freezer now, as well. Cold M&M's? Frozen Snicker's? Oh, heck yes.


When the husband said he'd happily try some homemade peppermint patties, I immediately thought of how good they'd taste straight from the freezer: chocolatey, minty, cold, crisp. 


So when I found a recipe on How Sweet It Is, I knew it was worth a shot. The woman suggested keeping them in the freezer. She was speakin' my language.


The recipe called for only a drop of peppermint extract, though, and I remembered the husband wanted more peppermint flavor in the homemade thin mints I made him earlier this year. I upped the peppermint and then I think I made the husband's dreams come true.


"They're peppermint-y, woman," was the first thing the husband said when he tried one.


"So you like them?" I asked. "You want them back in the freezer?"


"Yes and you know it," he said.


Keep these guys in the freezer, but good luck keeping your hands out of them. Don't blame me if you find yourself a fan of frozen goods like this. It's my grandma's fault.

Here's a look at the second patty the husband had. The first one he ate just went into his mouth - no bites.
Homemade Peppermint Patties
Adapted From How Sweet It Is (Credited to Joy of Baking)

2 cups powdered sugar

1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoons fat-free evaporated milk
1/4 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
1 cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips

Beat the sugar through extract in an electric mixer until smooth. Cover and chill in the refrigerator to set. 





Once firm, roll into balls and flatten into discs.


Sorry, taking photos with your left hand isn't pretty.
Set the patties in the freezer for an hour or so.

Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler. Remove the patties from the freezer and dip in the chocolate. (If anyone has a better method than using two forks, I'm all ears!)





Set the covered patties on wax paper.





Store in the freezer and enjoy!


The husband doesn't want to share these, but I do. You can also find them over on 
The Country Cook's fabulous page!



5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness gracious. These look so yummy. I would probably just end up eating the filling! Definitely trying these out to share before Christmas.

    Thanks for stopping by my little blog, Purplest Pecalin and leaving me a comment on the Mint Chip Chocolate cookies! I love your blog and am your newest follower!

    Mallory
    purplestpecalin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the husband would have eaten quite a bit of the filling - had I told him that's what it was when he saw it in the fridge! Thanks so much for stopping by, Mallory. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Peppermint Patties and never once thought to try to make my own. Thanks for linking up to Foodie Friday! Can't wait to try this.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to try these. I've been looking for a recipe that doesn't include cream cheese (lactose intolerant, and I don't think the little amount of evaporated milk is enough to do harm).

    When I dip things in chocolate I use 2 spoons instead of forks. It takes some practice to not spill too much chocolate, but you don't get the fork lines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, two spoons! What a good idea. I'd love to avoid those fork lines!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to show my space a little love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...